It is the general practice to start this novena on Saint Andrew's Feast Day, November 30. The beautiful prayer that follows is traditionally said every day until Christmas. This prayer is very meditative, helping us to increase our awareness of the real focus of Christmas and helping us to prepare ourselves spiritually for the coming of Jesus.
Hail and blessed be the hour and moment In which the Son of God was born of the most pure Virgin Mary, at midnight, in Bethlehem, in the piercing cold. In that hour vouchsafe, I beseech Thee, O my God, to hear my prayer and grant my desires,
(Make your request here)
through the merits of Our Savior Jesus Christ, and of His Blessed Mother. Amen.
My Christmas Pledge with Prayer to the Infant Jesus
1. To make my Christmas a holy day with Christ, not a holiday without Him.
2. To observe Christmas as the birthday of Christ, not a day to give and receive material gifts.
3. To remember that the real symbols of Christmas are the Star, the Stable and the Crib, not Santa Claus and his reindeer.
4. To teach my children that "Santa Claus" is the nickname of Saint Nicholas, who gave to the poor in honor of Christ.
5. To help one poor family, in honor of Jesus, Mary and Joseph, the Holy Family of Bethlehem.
6. To send Christmas cards remindful of Him, the Infant Savior, not decorated only with candy canes, dogs, ribbons and wreaths.
7. To make room in my home for Him with a Christmas Crib to remind me that He was born in a stable.
8. During the Christmas season, in a special way, to honor Mary, His mother who kept the first Christmas vigil beside the manger.
9. To begin Christmas by leading my family to His altar to receive the Bread of Life.
10. Today and every day, to give "Glory to God in the highest" to work and pray for "Peace on Earth to men of good will."
Prayer to the Infant Jesus
Come to me, O Divine Savior, vouchsafe to be born in my heart. Grant that, taught by Thine example, and assisted by Thy grace, I may be poor in spirit and humble of heart. Keep me chaste and obedient. I wish to live but for Thee, and to do all things purely for love of Thee. O Mary, my Advocate and Mother, obtain by thy prayers forgiveness of my past offenses and holy perseverance unto death. Saint Joseph, do thou also pray for me, that I may become daily more pleasing to Jesus. Amen.