What Do Jehovahs Witnesses Teach About the Trinity?
Make no mistake about it: Jehovah's Witnesses hate the Trinity (1). They believe that Christians got their doctrine of the Trinity from pagans and ultimately, from the devil himself. According to the Watchtower book Reconciliation (1928): "Never was there a more deceptive doctrine advanced than that of the trinity. It could have originated only in one mind, and that the mind of Satan the Devil." (2)
Jehovah's Witnesses (JWs) zealously attack the Trinity for at least three reasons:
* They realize that most Catholics cannot readily explain or defend the Trinity;
* They think the Trinity is easy to discredit;
* They know that discrediting the Trinity discredits the divinity of Jesus. (3)
Their chief weapon is a booklet called Should You Believe in the Trinity? (4) This illustrated, 32-page booklet is packed with false arguments, deliberate misquotations, and biblical distortions.
In spite of its many errors, the booklet's arguments are cleverly presented. This deceptive booklet could easily shake the faith of Catholics who aren't familiar with Church history or Sacred Scripture. It might also mislead people who aren't accustomed to detecting logical fallacies.
In the next few pages, we will expose this booklet's faulty reasoning, misuse of the Church Fathers, and misinterpretation of Sacred Scripture. At the same time, we will show you how to confidently answer JWs' many objections against the Trinity.
(1) Jehovah Witnesses claim to be Christian. But they deny the most basic Christian doctrines: including the Trinity, the divinity of Jesus, the eternity of hell, and the immortality of the soul.
(2) Reconciliation (Brooklyn, NY: Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, 1928), p. 101
(3) JWs will often ignore the primary question of whether Jesus is God in order to debate the more complicated aspects of the Trinity. Avoid this tactic and insist on discussing the divinity of Jesus first. If you can convince them Jesus is God, honest JWs will realize they are in the wrong Church. We show how to prove the divinity of Jesus in our booklet, Beginning Apologetics 2: How to Answer Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons, available from San Juan Catholic Seminars (CatholicApologetics.com, phone: 505-327-9554). We strongly recommend reading the JW section of Beginning Apologetics 2 before reading this booklet.
(4) Brooklyn, NY: Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, 1989.
Included in this booklet:
* A DECEPTIVE DOCTRINE OR A DECEPTIVE BOOKLET? (Included Above)
* FAULTY REASONING
Error #1: Assuming that if two beliefs are similar, one comes from the other
Error #2: Assuming that difficult beliefs are confusing and unreasonable
Error #3: Assuming that religious truths must be explicitly taught in the Bible
Error #4: Using biased sources as objective authorities
* MISUSE OF THE EARLY CHURCH FATHERS
St. Justin Martyr
St. Clement of Alexandria
Did the Councils Invent the Doctrine of the Trinity?
Summary of the Early Church Fathers
* MISINTERPRETATION OF SACRED SCRIPTURE
The Divinity of Jesus
The Holy Spirit
The JW Bible
* A PRAYER TO THE TRINITY
Father Frank Chacon, and Jim Burnham. Beginning Apologetics 2.5: How to Answer Jehovah's Witnesses Who Attack the Trinity. Farmington, NM: San Juan Catholic Seminars, 1998-2010. Print.
Formerly Titled Yes! You Should Believe in the Trinity - How to Answer Jehovah's Witnesses
To order one or more of the Beginning Apologetics books by Father Frank Chacon and Jim Burnham, see San Juan Catholic Seminars' website.