Chaplet of Saint Michael
Saint Michael, appearing one day to Antonia d'Astonac, a most devout Servant of God, told her that he wished to be honored by nine salutations corresponding to the nine Choirs of Angels, which should consist of one Our Father and three Hail Marys in honor of each of the angelic choirs.
Promises of Saint Michael
Whosoever would practice this devotion in his honor, before receiving Holy Communion, would have an escort of nine angels chosen from each one of the nine choirs. In addition, for the daily recital of these nine salutations, he promised his continual assistance and that of all the holy angels during life, and, after death, deliverance from purgatory for themselves and their relations.
Related from the life of Antonia d'Astonac, Vol. III Chaplet LXXIV.
The chaplet is begun by saying the following invocation on the medal
O God, come to my assistance.
O Lord, make haste to help me.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be. World Without End. Amen.
Pray on each of the nine beads, moving in a counterclockwise direction, say one Our Father and three Hail Mary's after each of the following nine salutations in honour of the nine choirs of angels.
1. By the intercession of Saint Michael and the celestial Choir of Seraphim, may the Lord make us worthy to burn with the fire of perfect charity. Amen.
2. By the intercession of Saint Michael and the celestial Choir of Cherubim, may the Lord vouchsafe to grant us grace to leave the ways of wickedness to run in the paths of Christian perfection. Amen.
3. By the intercession of Saint Michael and the celestial Choir of Thrones, may the Lord infuse into our hearts a true and sincere spirit of humility. Amen.
4. By the intercession of Saint Michael and the celestial Choir of Dominions, may the Lord give us grace to govern our senses and subdue our unruly passions. Amen.
5. By the intercession of Saint Michael and the celestial Choir of Powers, may the Lord vouchsafe to protect our souls against the snare and temptations of the devil. Amen.
6. By the intercession of Saint Michael and the celestial Choir of Virtues, may the Lord preserve us from evil and suffer us not to fall into temptation. Amen.
7. By the intercession of Saint Michael and the celestial Choir of Principalities, may the Lord fill our souls with a true spirit of obedience. Amen.
8. By the intercession of Saint Michael and the celestial Choir of Archangels, may the Lord give us perseverance in faith and in all good works, in order that we gain the glory of Paradise. Amen.
9. By the intercession of Saint Michael and the celestial Choir of Angels, may the Lord grant us to be protected by them in this mortal life and conducted thereafter to eternal glory. Amen.
Following the nine beads in a counterclockwise movement, say one Our Father in honor of each of the following leading angels: Saint Michael; Saint Gabriel; Saint Raphael; our Guardian Angel.
The chaplet is concluded with the following prayers:
O glorious Prince Saint Michael, chief and commander of the heavenly hosts, guardian of souls vanquisher of rebel spirits, servant in the house of the Divine King, and our admirable conductor, thou who dost shine with excellence and superhuman virtue, vouchsafe to deliver us from all evil, who turn to thee with confidence, and enable us by thy gracious protection to serve God more and more faithfully every day.
V. Pray for us, O glorious Saint Michael, Prince of the Church of Jesus Christ.
R. That we may be made worthy of His promises.
Almighty and Everlasting God, who by a prodigy of goodness and a merciful desire for the salvation of all men, hast appointed the most glorious Archangel, Saint Michael, Prince of Thy Church, make us worthy, we beseech Thee, to be delivered from all our enemies that none of them may harass us at the hour of death, but that we may be conducted by him into the august presence of Thy Divine Majesty. This we beg through the merits of Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Indulgenced by Blessed Pope Pius IX.
Imprimatur: Constantis, Feb. 1897, ABEL, Episc. Const. At Abr.
To Purchase The Saint Michael Chaplet, visit The Saints' Chaplet Store